How to utilize cloning for backup and other chores..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
How to erase and partition drives..
Larger drives are faster..
How to use Apple Time Machine for Data Safety.
Choosing among 4/6/8/12 cores, GPUs, memory, flash..
Tips for networking, internet, etc..
How to perform useful tasks and upgrades..
- How to Capture the Screen or Window as an Image
- Finder Setting for Generic Icons or Custom Icons Based on Content
- How to boot off an external drive
- How to upgrade your system/boot drive
- How to Set the Startup Volume / Startup Drive/Disk
- How to Verify/Repair a RAID Volume
- How to detect a failing hard drive (SMART status)
- How to test memory for reliability
- How to install 6GB or 8GB memory in MacBook Pro
- How to Reset Apple Safari Saved Information
- How-To Disallow Saving Usernames/Passwords in Safari
- How-To Erase a Web Site Password in Safari or Firefox
- Moving Your Bookmarks to Another Computer
- How to Create a Group of Bookmarks in Safari
- Enabling the Developer / Debug Menu to Safari
- How to Change Date and Time Formats for Ease of Viewing
- How to Create and Use a RAM Disk
- How to See Disk Usage / Space Used
- How to use a Mac Pro as a Robust File Server
- How to Disable CPU cores
Suggestions for setting up your Mac for performance and data safety..
- Sizing and Setting Up Your Mac Boot Drive
- Installing a Just-Right Mac System
- Separate Data from System and Applications
- High Performance Mac Configuration
- Testing Mac Memory and Drives
- Choosing the Right Mouse
- Boot With the 64-bit Kernel
- Set Finder Preferences
- System Preferences (General)
- How to Unhide your Library Folder on OS X
- Set a Two-button Mouse
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Disable the Caps Lock key
- Declutter the Dock
- Turn Off iTunesHelper
- How to Exclude Items from Spotlight Search
- Apple Mail Unread Mailbox Setup
- Apple Mail VIP Feature: Multiple Emails for one Contact
- Time Machine for Always-on Backup
- Relocating the Home Directory Off the Boot Drive
- Relocating Mail Off the Boot Drive
- Relocating Documents Folder Off the Boot Drive
- Relocating iTunes and iPhoto Libraries
Networking as fast as an SSD!.
Reduce the chances of security breaches..
- Set up a Normal User Account (and use it)
- Keep System Software Up To Date
- Disable Automatic Login
- Disable Incoming Internet Connections
- Disable Safari’s 'Open Safe Files by Default'
- Disable Java in Safari
- Apple Mail Security: Disable Loading of Remote Content
- Apple Mail Security: Viewing Mail Headers
- Put Adobe Flash on a Leash
- Safe Settings for Adobe Flash
- Turn Bluetooth Off
- Turn Off Unused Network Services
- File Sharing and Remote Access
- Use a Hardware Firewall With Unroutable LAN
- Prefer Wired Internet; Avoid Wireless Internet
- Use a Bastion Server
- More Diligent Measures, Even Hardware Removal
Use high quality passwords, identities, logins conveniently..
When and Why to Upgrade Your Mac..
- Upgrades: Know Your Priorities
- Be Smart About Upgrades
- Upgrades: How Much Memory?
- Upgrades: Internal Hard Drive or Solid State Drive?
- Upgrading Your System Drive
- MacBook Pro Upgrades
- Upgrading Mac Pro Memory
- Upgrading Mac Pro Internal Drives
- Upgrading the Mac Pro CPU
- Upgrading Reliability and Backup
- Upgrading Ergonomics and Efficiency
- Case Study: Upgrade a MacBook Pro to Banish Sluggishness
- Case Study: Upgrade a 2010 MacBook Pro for Photoshop Performance
- Case Study of Mac Pro Memory and Photoshop CS5 Performance
Useful tasks at the command line in Terminal..
Preferred configuration for best performance..
Speedups for working with images..
Learn about Activity Monitor and understand how CPU cores, processes, memory use, and software scalability affect performance..
- Ways to Optimize Your Mac’s Performance
- Optimizing your Mac: Get Adequate Memory
- Optimizing your Mac: SSD for Fast Virtual Memory
- Optimizing your Mac: Fast Hard Drive or SSD
- Optimizing your Mac: Quit Vampire Programs
- Optimizing your Mac: Turn Off Unused Services
- How to Delete a Space-Hogging Sleep File sleepimage
- How to Reclaim Wasted Cache Space on Your Boot Drive
- Extending the 'sudo' Timeout
An in-depth look at how to find the right Mac setup for you.
- How to Choose a Mac
- How to Select and Configure a Mac Pro
- How to Select and Configure a MacBook Pro
- How to Select and Configure an iMac
- Buying a Refurbished Mac
- Buying a Mac at the Apple Store
- Upgrading Your Mac
- Setting up Your New Mac (or renovating one)
- Mac Boot Drive Dogma
- Mac Backup and Reliability
- Simple and Cost-effective Backups for Mac
- Backing up with Apple’s Mac Backup
- My Mac Pro: An Example
- Mac Pro Memory: Choosing, Installing, Testing
Nuts and bolts of buying a Mac, and recommended extras..
- Mac Pro Buyer's Guide: Step-by-Step
- Buyer's Guide: Ordering a Refurbished Mac Pro
- Buyer's Guide: Ordering a New Mac Pro
- Buyer's Guide: Setting up a Mac Pro
- Buyer's Guide: Multi-interface External Enclosures
- Buyer's Guide: eSATA Enclosures
- Buyer's Guide: Memory for Mac Pro
- Buyer's Guide: Hard Drives for Mac Pro
- Buyer's Guide: eSATA Cards for Mac Pro
- Buyer's Guide: Recommended Solid State Drives (SSD)
- Buyer's Guide: MacBook Pro Memory
- Buyer's Guide: eSATA for MacBook pro
- Buyer's Guide: Displays
- Buyer's Guide: Power Conditioning (UPS)
- Recomended Vendor: OWC
Optimizing specific application performance..
The worrisome decline of OS X quality and integrity..
- Apple Core Rot: Introduction
- Reader Comments on Apple Core Rot
- Impossible to Complete a File Copy on Any Drives
- Time Machine Silently Excludes Critical Data
- Finder Copy Destroys File System on Boot Drive
- Finder Refuses to Delete 'Backup Items'
- Finder Silently Fails to Copy Files
- Disk Utility Offers to Destroy 13 volumes on 4 Drives
- Graphics Professionals Need 10-bit Color
High capacity, high-performance fault-tolerant storage for photography and video.
Non-RAID or RAID-0/1/4/5/10.
Capacities up to 84 Terabytes!