↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
MacBook Pro and MacBook Air
iMac, Mac Pro, MacMini, more!
Relocating the Home Directory Off the Boot Drive
Related: how-to, longitudinal chromatic aberration, System Setup, optics
This is an advanced technique. Don’t move your home directory casually or without well thought-out reasons! It is generally NOT recommended to move your home directory.
Most Macs make it expensive or impossible to have more than one fast drive, except perhaps for the 2010 iMac, which allows both a hard drive and an SSD. The Mac Pro makes it easy to have multiple, fast drives.
There are good reasons to leave your home directory in the default location:
- If the drive containing your home directory “goes away”, you won’t be able to login. Be sure to create another admin account that resides on the boot drive.
- If the Boot drive is a fast SSD, moving the home directory can be self-defeating for performance.
- The Documents folder can be moved, but it is an idiot mode anyway, which is useless for my needs. Store your stuff on a dedicated drive. The annoyance is programs that default to saving in the Documents folder. Train yourself to save where you want to.
- Both iTunes and iPhoto can keep their libraries wherever you like; this is built-in functionality.
- The Mail folder can be relocated.
- The Pictures folder can be relocated, but I advise never using it anyway (dedicate a separate volume for your data and images).
What’s left? Not much.
The Contacts and Calendar stuff (obscured in an LDAP database), preferences, various cruft and artifacts produced by applications.
$1649 SAVE $150 = 8.0% Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Late 2016, Space Gray) in All Other Categories
$629 SAVE $70 = 10.0% Apple Mac mini 2.6 GHz Desktop Computer (Late 2014) in Computers: Apple Macs
$55 SAVE $40 = 42.0% Interfit Five-in-One 42" Reflector and Arm Kit with Stand in Lighting: Light Modifiers
$60 SAVE $40 = 40.0% Lexar 128GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 800x UDMA 7 in Accessories: Memory Cards
Moving your home directory
Don’t email me for help. This is an advanced maneuver, you’re on your own!
Go into, and select the account you’d like to move; click the lock to unlock.
Do not forget—
- After making these changes, immediately reboot, then REMOVE your original home directory to avoid confusion.
- Don’t forget to create another admin account that resides on the boot drive, so that you login if your regular account is on a volume that “goes away”.