↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G 4-Port RAID Controller
The MAXPower 6G eSATA card is about $98 at OWC
The NewerTech MAXPower PCIe 4-Port eSATA 6G RAID Controller with port multiplier support adds four eSATA ports. It can be used in any 2009/2010/2012 Mac Pro, or any Mac with a suitable Thunderbolt enclosure that takes a PCIe card.
The MAXPower can be used to connect eSATA devices in non-RAID mode, which is how MPG tested it. But it also offers hardware RAID support for RAID-0, RAID-1 , RAID-5, RAID-1+0. MPG did not test this functionality.
The test used four fast hard drives as a RAID-0 stripe to verify full performance. The two cards performed identically, which is to say at the limit of the maximum possible drive speed.
At about $98 the NewerTech MAXPower card is inexpensive and high performing and supports hardware RAID if desired, a distinct difference versus the FirmTek 4-port card.
Both cards were tested in the FirmTek ThunderTek enclosure, shown below.
- Supports RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 levels; as well as supporting JBOD (SPAN and individual drive modes).
- Port Multiplier Support for Up to 20 Drives — In addition to supporting up to four single or dual eSATA enclosure, the MAXPower 4-Port eSATA RAID Card supports port multiplier enclosures to connect up to 5 drives into a single eSATA port. By supporting port multiplier enclosures, the MAXPower 4-Port eSATA RAID Card can provide massive storage and increased data protection by utilizing up to 20 drives for protective RAID arrays such as RAID 1, 10, & 5.
- Maximum Bandwidth for Multiple eSATA Storage Solutions — With its PCIe 2.0 interface, the MAXPower 4-Port eSATA RAID Card provides two 500MB/s data lanes for a total card bandwidth of 1000MB/s. Now you can connect up to four 1.5Gb/s, 3Gb/s, and/or 6Gb/s external drives via eSATA and experience maximum data transfer rate throughput from each.
- Manage Drives Easily Via Management Utility — The Newer Technology RAID Web Management Utility is an easy-to-use web browser-based application to set up RAID arrays, manage connected drives, view storage health status, and view information about the connected storage devices.
- Future Ready Yet Fully Backward Compatible — The MAXPower 4-Port eSATA RAID Card is like a "performance assurance policy" as conventional hard disk drives and SSDs migrate to the SATA 6Gb/s standard. Installing the card now offers immediate speeds gains while making a Mac Pro or PC future ready for even greater speed gains. Like all good upgrades, the card doesn't leave the past behind. The MAXPower 4-Port eSATA RAID Card is fully backward compatible with PCIe 1.0 slots as well as previous generations of SATA 1.5Gb/s and 3Gb/s drives.
- Don't Have An Available PCIe Slot? — That's no problem for the MAXPower 4-Port eSATA RAID Card. By utilizing an external PCIe expansion chassis, such as the OWC Helios, you can use this card with any Mac or PC...even laptops. And if you do pair it with the OWC Helios, you can experience the power of Thunderbolt with the latest machines.
$179 SAVE $120 = 40.0% E-Image EG05A2 Two-Stage Aluminum Tripod with GH05 Head (75mm) in Accessories: Tripods and Support