↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
2012 MBP Retina — Retina Display Scaling
Related: computer display, laptop, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Macs, MTF and Micro Contrast, Retina display
The stunning 2880 X 1800 “retina” display offers 25% more pixels than even a 30" desktop display (2560 X 1600). This should provide the most photo-realistic experience yet seen on a computer.
Application support and pixel doubling
There is one downside— application support will be needed to fully benefit from the doubled (quadrupled pixels) resolution. Non-updated applications will be presented in “pixel doubled” mode.
The 2880 X 1800 dimensions are twice (linearly) that of the 1440 X 900 display, such that unmodified applications will be pixel-doubled, and thus won’t benefit much from the new display resolution. But modified applications are sure to follow quickly and that’s where the juicy fun beings: viewing images on a 2880 X 1800 display in a laptop will provide the most photo-realistic experience yet seen on a computer.
Display impressions to the eye
- For text, the Retina display looks almost like paper, better really. The level of realism portends a future of more-lifelike-than-life displays (imagine 100 million pixels on a wall).
- Display glare is quite low compared to past models— very acceptable.
- Display contrast is impressive.
Blazing fast, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, 8TB.
Lloyd’s all-time favorite SSD!
The 15" Macbook Pro Retina has a display that is natively 2880 X 1800.
Because text would be tiny, Apple does not offer a native resolution option; programs have to be modified to use the full resolution (“pixel doubling”).
But actually it is not pixel-doubling only; it can almost be pixel-tripling, or other ratios.
Note that screen capture sizes vary with the resolution chosen; all are twice linearly what the nominal non-Retina resolution is (e.g. 1440 X 900 produces 2880 X 1800).
Available scaling factors corresponding to the image below include:
- Larger Text — unmodified applications see a 1024 X 640 screen. Screen shot produces 2048 X 1280 image.
- Intermediate — unmodified applications see a 1280 X 800 screen. Screen shot produces 2560 X 1600 image.
- Best (Retina) — True pixel-doubled resolution of 1440 X 900. Unmodified programs will “see” a 1440 X 900 screen size; each pixel such programs draw will actually be a square of 4 pixels on the Retina display. Screen shot produces 2880 X 1800 image.
- Intermediate + — unmodified applications see a 1680 X 1050 screen. Screen shot produces 3360 X 2100 image.
- More Space — unmodified applications see a 1920 X 1200 screen. Screen shot produces 3840 X 2400 image.
Or iMac 5K or iMac Pro?
Consult with Lloyd ASAP before buying!
System configuration for CPU, GPU, memory, SSD, backup, RAID, optimizing performance, workflow.
For YOUR optimal workflow
Avoid costly mistakes in throwing money at the problem for less performance and/or buying the wrong machine for your own needs!
Remote screen sharing available for RAID, software configuration, etc.
More about 2019 Mac Pro vs iMac 5K vs iMac Pro...
Relative screen sizes
View the relative sizes page.