↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
Storage, Backup, RAID?
Buy now or wait?
✓ diglloyd consulting starts you out on solid footing.
OWC Dual-drive Enclosures Overview
Last updated January 31, 2011 - Send Feedback
In December 2010, NewerTech released their new Guardian MAXimus Mini and OWC released the OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Dual Mini enclosures. In this article, I’ll refer to these together as the Dual Minis.
The Dual Minis are “quad interface” units, which means that they can be connected as follows:
- eSATA (fastest by far);
- Firewire 800 (reasonably fast);
- Firewire 400 (slow);
- USB (slower than Firewire 400).
The eSATA option is a possibility on the Mac Pro, certain models of the MacBook Pro, and a 2010 iMac modified by OWC to have an eSATA port. For the fastest external performance, use eSATA.
Dual drives inside
The Dual Minis take any standard 2.5" laptop hard drives or solid state drives. Since there are two internal drives in one Mini, the following options are available:
- RAID-1 mirror (redundancy, tolerates a drive failure);
- RAID-0 stripe (higher performance, failure of either drive loses all).
The drives should be matched in size and brand. Though mismatched drives will likely work well enough, I can’t recommend that approach. My advice is to buy the units pre-configured with matching drives, and if capacity and budget allows, prefer quality solid state drives.
$2149 SAVE $250 = 10.0% Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Late 2016, Space Gray) in All Other Categories
$80 SAVE $60 = 42.0% Brother HL-L2300D Monochrome Laser Printer with Additional High… in Computers: Printers
$1398 SAVE $200 = 12.0% Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2 LUMIX G Leica DG Nocticron ASPH Power OIS in Lenses: Mirrorless
$698 SAVE $300 = 30.0% Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 Lumix G X Vario Asph. Lens for Micro 4/3 in Lenses: Mirrorless
$898 SAVE $400 = 30.0% Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G X Vario ASPH. POWER O.I.S. in Lenses: Mirrorless
$3798 SAVE $1200 = 24.0% Sony XBR-X940D Series 75"-Class HDR 4K 3D Smart Full-Array LED T… in Electronics: Televisions
Not just for portable use
Although these Dual Mini offerings might at first glance seem oriented towards laptop use, they are so nicely compact and offer such good performance and relative quiet, that users of desktop Macs will also find them very appealing.
The most compelling application for the Dual Minis is as a RAID-1 mirror, because portability entails a greater risk of shock and vibration which could kill a drive. Of course, dropping the unit on the sidewalk has a good chance of killing both hard drives, so the professional photographer or videographer really should be using solid state drives for critical work, not hard drives.
Unless you must have the additional space or performance, I strongly recommend using RAID-1 with these Dual Minis.
- Any storage application for which high reliability is desired, e.g., an always-on music library or video capture (use RAID-1 mirror mode);
- Critical data (use RAID-1 mirror mode);
- Data backup when traveling with a laptop;
- Compact backup for storage offsite eg in a safe deposit box;
- A boot drive, so that the internal drive(s) can be use exclusively for data;
- A mirrored clone for a backup of any of your internal drives;
- Transferring files conveniently from one Mac to another.