Mac wish list • all 15" Apple MacBook Pro 2017 models • MPG gets credit if you buy through those links.
MPG tested a fully-loaded 2017 MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD.
Suggested accessories include the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock, the 1TB Envoy Pro EX.
See the MPG review of the 2017 Macbook Pro.
The 2017 MacBook Pro definitely bumps things up over the 2016 MacBook Pro, but not by enough to stop lagging behind the 2015 MacBook Pro:
- 2017 MacBook Pro: diglloyd Adobe Photoshop Benchmarks
- 2017 MacBook Pro: Photoshop Filters
- 2017 MacBook Pro: Real World Photoshop: Make Multi-Res Image Series
MPG gives Apple kudos for the attractive performance gains with the 2017 iMac 5K, but the 2017 MacBook Pro continues to disappoint for all the reasons that the 2016 MacBook Pro does.
- Prformance offers a negative value versus the 2015 model (at least for what I need it for).
- Performance degrades under load just like the 2016 model.
- Same problematic touchbar and oversized trackpad.
- Costs more than the 2017 iMac 5K.
- Same messy dongle problems as its 2016 predecessor (solved by the Thunderbolt 3 Dock if AC power is available).
- It is not a 'pro' machine, although it is sleek and good looking and has a very nice display.
- Still no 32GB memory option.
Serious laptop users looking for performance and hassle-free peripheral support have no reason to upgrade to the 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro.