↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
ioSafe N2 NAS Overview
The ioSafe N2 is a dual-drive network-attached storage (NAS) device that plugs into the ethernet network and offers an extensive array of file sharing and related features and services, while being fireproof and waterproof.
I was pleased to see the warning page included with the unit, which strongly advises making the proper number and type of backups: even though this unit offers far more protection than conventional drives, the company emphasizes critical backup habits.
The specifications are too numerous to list here, so please see the ioSafe N2 specifications list., but here are a few key items:
- Protects data from fire. Up to 1550°F, 30 minutes per ASTM E-119.
- Gigabit ethernet interface.
- Protects data from flood. Fully submersed, fresh or salt water, 10 foot depth, 72 hours.
- Up to 2 X 4TB capacity, plus externally attached drives (which will burn or submerge of course).
- File sharing, FTP, mail server, printer server, Time Machine backup, virtual drive, remote folder, network backup, etc.
- Wide variety of add-on packages.
- Support CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, CalDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, VPN (PPTP, OpenVPNTM).
- Data Recovery Service — Up to $5000 per TB for forensic recovery w/ Advanced Replacement.
- Client support for Windows XP onward, Mac OS X® 10.5 onward, Ubuntu 9.04 onward.
- Extended warranty optional.
The enclosure is very quiet, and very heavy (28 pounds) and very solidly made. A special allen wrench tool complete with attached magnet for convenient storage at the rear of the unit is supplied, should you need to install or replace the internal drives.
All in all the solid build quality is very impressive.