↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
Photoshop CS5 Optimization Conclusions
Findings so far:
- Configuration is absolutely critical to performance, with Adobe recommended defaults for Cache Tile Size gutting performance by 80%! See the Cache Tile Size page.
- Leave Photoshop running so that it doesn’t have to allocate memory again. See the Warm-up page.
- Memory is more important than ever for large files.
Beware new releases
Was this release rushed out the door to meet a revenue deadline? Here are just some of the obvious problems that severely impair usability; I’ve found other bugs also.
- The painfully obvious memory allocation “warmup” problem is a bad sign (I found this problem literally in the first minute of use!);
- The default cache tile size results in a severe performance impairment.
- Adobe’s plugins for controlling caching, virtual memory, etc were not available at release;
- Third-party plugins linger as 32-bit versions. Such plugins are critical to many workflows, did Adobe not have an aggressive developer program in place? Why does the 32-bit CS5 limit memory to 2100MB, thus crippling the only workaround for 32-bit plugins?
- Scrolling with the center button on my Apple mouse is now unusable (scrolls a few pixels at a time). As I do this constantly, this ruins the entire experience for me.
The MPG Pro Workstation and MPG Pro Laptop
$2699 SAVE $1600 = 37.0% Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Late 2016, Space Gray) in Computers: Other
$4599 SAVE $300 = 6.0% Apple 27" iMac Pro with Retina 5K Display (Late 2017) in Computers: Apple Macs
$108 SAVE $55 = 33.0% Samsung 500GB T5 Portable Solid-State Drive (Blue) in Computers: Drives and Storage