Tested: OWC Drive Dock USB-C
Have a performance need or concern? Consult with Lloyd.
The OWC Drive Dock USB-C at about $119 offers a convenient solution to utilizing bare 2.5" or 3.5" bare hard drives or SSDs on a Mac with Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C. It can also be used on a Mac with USB 3.1 gen 1 with the supplied cable (either/or).
- USB-C (USB 3.1 Gen 2) connectivity
- Dual drive bays supporting both 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch solid state and hard disk drives
- Mac, PC and Chrome compatibility
- Premium aluminum enclosure and quiet, fanless operation
- Independent power switches and simultaneous operation
- Internal auto-switching power supply, no external power
- Sustained data rates of up to 981MB/s Write
- Includes connecting cables for both standard USB and Type C/Thunderbolt 3 equipped system
With two very fast hard drives or any SSD, the USB-C model should be chosen for best performance. Below, performance of the OWC Drive Dock USB-C reaches levels not possible with USB 3.1 Gen 1.
Reviewed: OWC Drive Dock USB-C
Bare hard drives are an inexpensive way to get a lot of storage conveniently, including multiple backups—just insert, backup and remove.