More Apple Core Rot. This has been a problem in both Yosemite and its predecessor on and off, but it’s becoming a daily problem in Yosemite 10.10.2.
Shown below are Apple Safari and Google Chrome and 'ping', all accessing the same site (diglloyd.com, sister site to this one).
- Server logs show that Safari isn’t even getting to the site. Safari cannot load even one page; it stays blank. A minute or two later, it works fine.
- Chrome is fully operational; click on any page at diglloyd.com and the site loads instantly.
- Also shown is a live 'ping' to diglloyd.com, working fine simulataneously with the Safari failure.
- (not shown) Apple Remote Desktop is also working fine to diglloyd.com, fine simulataneously with the Safari failure.
- It’s not just diglloyd.com; other sites on the *same server* respond just fine.
A reboot or logout fixes it (for a while). Ditto for my other sites. Wait a few minutes and things work again. And it’s not confined to my sites.
Maybe this failure is related to the broken DNS reported by Ars Technica. These days, Apple Pie is the made of what we used to call “horse apples” or “cow pies” back in Wisconsin.