↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
Up to 65% better pricing than Apple
Lloyd recommends 32GB RDIMM modules for most users (more expensive LRDIMMS are for 512GB or more).
MacBook Pro Virtual Memory Recommendations
Related: laptop, MacBook, MacBook Pro, memory, optimization, RAID, software, storage
This research took considerable time, but the results are clear for virtual memory:
- Use the 64-bit kernel, because performance is far better;
- The MacBook Pro Core i7 is a lot faster than its predecessor, the Core 2 Duo;
- Fast solid state drives hugely outperform the fastest laptop hard drive, even when that hard drive is nearly empty;
- A RAID-0 stripe yields a significant boost in performance, with a 16K or 32K stripe size best;
Hard drives vary significantly for virtual memory performance:
- The 5400 rpm Fujitsu beat the 7200 rpm Seagate. This is surprising, but it might be related to the fact that under sustained use, some 7200rpm laptop drives drop their performance for thermal reasons (I’ve seen that behavior in previous testing).
- The Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 easily showed the best performance. At about $102, it’s a bargain, and with the Voyager Q Drive Dock, upgrading your system disk can be done quickly and easily.
with an OWC SSD
SATA, USB3, Thunderbolt, internal upgrades and PCIe SSD options for Mac or PC.
View All OWC SSDs...
Help me help you!
Subscribe or use my links, thank you!
Or iMac 5K or iMac Pro?
Consult with Lloyd ASAP before buying!
System configuration for CPU, GPU, memory, SSD, backup, RAID, optimizing performance, workflow.
For YOUR optimal workflow
Avoid costly mistakes in throwing money at the problem for less performance and/or buying the wrong machine for your own needs!
Remote screen sharing available for RAID, software configuration, etc.
More about 2019 Mac Pro vs iMac 5K vs iMac Pro...