↝ OWC / MacSales.com...
↝ diglloyd B&H Deal Finder...
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
Mac or PC.
Ideal for Lightroom, Photoshop, video.
Capacity up to 16TB!
MacBook Pro Virtual Memory Recommendations
Related: laptop, MacBook, MacBook Pro, memory, optimization, RAID, software, storage
This research took considerable time, but the results are clear for virtual memory:
- Use the 64-bit kernel, because performance is far better;
- The MacBook Pro Core i7 is a lot faster than its predecessor, the Core 2 Duo;
- Fast solid state drives hugely outperform the fastest laptop hard drive, even when that hard drive is nearly empty;
- A RAID-0 stripe yields a significant boost in performance, with a 16K or 32K stripe size best;
Hard drives vary significantly for virtual memory performance:
- The 5400 rpm Fujitsu beat the 7200 rpm Seagate. This is surprising, but it might be related to the fact that under sustained use, some 7200rpm laptop drives drop their performance for thermal reasons (I’ve seen that behavior in previous testing).
- The Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 easily showed the best performance. At about $102, it’s a bargain, and with the Voyager Q Drive Dock, upgrading your system disk can be done quickly and easily.
Help me help you!
Subscribe or use my links, thank you!
Blazing fast, up to 16TB.
Up to 65% better pricing than Apple
Lloyd recommends 32GB RDIMM modules for most users (more expensive LRDIMMS are for 512GB or more).
Eight-bay Thunderbolt 3 high-performance storage for photo and video.
Hard drives or SSDs.
Non-RAID or RAID-0/1/4/5/10.
Capacities up to 128 Terabytes!
Blazingly fast Thunderbolt 3 SSD!
Up to 4TB capacity, USB-C compatible.
USB-C model also available