OWC Thunderblade SSD Shipping in All Capacities up to 8TB — Ideal for Video Production and Capture. and/or Silent and High Capacity Photoshop Workflow
Get the OWC Thunderblade at MacSales.com
High-end video production users need a fast and super reliable device for capture and processing of 4K/6K/8K video. There are other scenarios too, such as audio users, where silence is a priority.
While I am not a video or audio user, I too would like to have the 8TB OWC Thunderblade, because I have my own ideal scenario for my still photography work with these key requirements:
- Portable, fast, compact storage with industrial-grade reliability for my last few years of work. 'Spinners' (hard drives) are an acceptable risk in a high vibration environment of my Mercedes Sprinter photography adventure van [on my recent trip, dirt-road washboard vibration was so severe that some sheet-metal screws worked themselves out of the wall. While hard drives would not be powered up while driving, I still don’t want them vibrated severely].
- Silent operation. I love a quiet work environment; it reduces stress level and is just plain nice. The 2017 iMac 5K is silent most of the time while I work (except under brief high loads). The iMac Pro stays silent for virtually everything I threw at it.
- Fast simultaneous backups. A high performance SSD as the 'master' drive makes multiple backups much faster, since the Thunderblade can dish out data for 2/3/4 simultaneous backups (which I do regularly).
- Fast verification. I can verify data integrity using diglloydTools IntegrityChecker at maxed-out bus speeds. BTW, IntegrityChecker is cross-platform (Mac, Windows, Linux, etc) via a Java version.
How I’d like to use the 8TB OWC Thunderblade
Currently I work off one primary Thunderbay. Other Thunderbay units serve as backups, and I leave them turned off except once a day when making backups. This eliminates the extra noise and cuts the risk of any data loss due to system issues or whatever.
The change would be working off one 8TB Thunderblade for very high speed but mainly for a highly desirable situation: complete silence. All the Thunderbay units would serve as secondary backups.
A key feature of me is being able to take all my data with me in the van. It would solve a major headache for me in that I don’t want spinners in my Mercedes Sprinter photography adventure van nor to risk them to vibration. Currently it's a hassle hand-selecting recent shoots and copying them over to the internal SSD; I then have to sync those up when home with the Thunderbay volume. That takes time and raises the risk of not taking all that I need or making a mistake when merging once back home.
As my data grows beyond the 8TB capacity of the Thunderblade, I would then need a 2nd Thunderblade, or use a Thunderbay (undesirable) for overflow of aged material. That overflow would generally be older stuff, so I could leave it off much of the time; in general having the few years of shooting is plenty.
The same architecture would be applicable to video or audio or large database users.
Enter the OWC Thunderblade, available in capacities up to 8TB.
More details on the OWC Thunderblade.
With the dual Thunderbolt 3 busses on an iMac Pro, up to 12 of them (96TB) can be daisy-chained together. Multiple units can also be used in RAID-0 stripe or RAID-1 mirror or RAID-4/5 fault tolerant mode. With RAID-0, speeds of up to 3800 MB/sec are possible.
Expensive sure, but if you’re shooting a production film, you can’t spend $1M to go back and reshoot a complex scene for your movie.
- Data transfer speed up to 2800MB/s, two ThunderBlades can reach 3800MB/s.
- Capacities up to 8TB (1TB, 2TB, 4TB, 8TB options).
- Two Thunderbolt 3 ports; daisy chain up to 6 Thunderbolt 3 devices from each port on the computer.
- Rugged portability in a sleek design Includes a custom-fit ballistic hard-shell case.
- OWC 3 Year Limited Warranty with 24/7 customer support.
- Built to the highest standards of reliability and performance. Because 100% reliability is always the goal, ThunderBlade is rigorously quality tested.
OWC’S GROUNDBREAKING THUNDERBLADE NOW SHIPPING IN ALL CAPACITIES
INNOVATIVE EXTERNAL DRIVE IS TRANSFORMING ULTRA HIGH-RESOLUTION CREATIVE WORKFLOWS.
Woodstock, IL – April 9, 2018 OWC®, a leading zero emissions Mac and PC technology company, has announced that the pioneering ThunderBlade™ external drive is now shipping in four capacities, from 1TB to 8TB. The first-to-market ThunderBlade is the fastest external drive available, with almost unheard of transfer speeds up to 2800MB/s Read and 2450MB/s Write, making it the preeminent production solution for professionals.
Celebrating their 30th anniversary in 2018, OWC continues to build on their legacy of first-to-market innovation, proudly designing products that push the edges of possibility in order to support the M&E space. Larry O’Connor, Founder & CEO, said “We at OWC can’t thank our customers enough for allowing us to do what we love so much every day. We strive to build products that will go further and deliver a better return on our customers’ technology investments. The ThunderBlade is one more example of a solution that will allow our customers to work more effectively, a product that can literally change the way they create. Everyone at OWC is excited by the boundless opportunities the next 30 years will bring for our customers.”
Thanks to SoftRAID’s cross-platform technology, not only is the ThunderBlade the fastest Thunderbolt 3 solution available, it is the only one of its kind to seamlessly support both Mac OS and Windows, allowing for faultless interoperability between them for multi-platform workflow requirements. The ThunderBlade is currently deployed to great acclaim in production houses and studios nationwide. Dave Helmly, Sr. Manager, Professional Video/Audio for Adobe Systems Inc. had this to say about the ThunderBlade: "Whether you're working on a 4K, 5K or 8K production or diving into huge Immersive VR environments, loading large complex projects just got easier with the new ThunderBlade from OWC."
The ThunderBlade is available in capacities from 1TB up to 8TB, MSRP from $1,199.99 to $4,999.00.
Having served the Apple community worldwide since 1988, OWC has become the reliable manufacturer and upgrade provider of choice for Apple and PC enthusiasts with its extensive catalog of accessories, storage, and memory upgrades for nearly every Mac made in the last decade. Recognized for award-winning customer service, OWC provides extensive U.S.-based technical support for Mac and PC users around the world and comprehensive step-by-step installation and support videos.