The Thunderbolt 3 Dock is ideal for any late 2016 MacBook Pro user, which is the only Mac that can make use of it as of May 2017.
When desktop usage is the scenario (AC power is available), the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock solves most of the compatibility headaches: see 2016 MacBook Pro: Compatibility Hardware (USB, Thunderbolt, Camera Card Readers, etc).
- Dual Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Five (5) USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, including one high-power port
- Gigabit ethernet
- SD card reader
- Audio in/out
- S/PDIF pro-grade digital audio for lossless signal transfer
- Mini DisplayPort for attaching a display.
- Firewire 800 (MPG strongly advises transitioning away from this aging and slow tech).
- One 5K display for two 4K displays (or lower-res)
- Includes Thunderbolt 3 cable, external power supply.
Actual images as taken by MPG below. Little details matter, like the SD card slot and headphone jack on the front of the unit (versus the form-over-function hidden rear SD slot of Apple’s iMac).