Desired Features for a New Mac Pro
The late 2013 Mac Pro was a major changeover, eliminating nice features like internal hard drives, restricting memory slots 4 only, and in general being “semi pro”.
Here’s how Apple can carry the 2013 Mac Pro forward back to its roots, but modernized:
- 8 memory slots accepting up to 256GB. Stretch goal: 12 memory slots for up to 384GB.
- 12 Thunderbolt 3 ports, split across 3 busses.
- Support for three external 5K displays.
- Single outrageously bad-ass GPU, OPTIONAL 2nd GPU.
- Internal SSD options of 1TB or 2TB or 4TB, option for 2nd SSD with same capacity options, running at 3 GB/sec.
- Space for two internal hard drives, thus allowing 20TB internally in addition to the SSDs.
- Nice to have: 4 USB3 ports to keep connectivity hassles down with useful legacy devices (mouse, keyboard, camera card readers, USB3 drives, etc).
All of this should be possible by increasing the diameter and height of the 2013 'tube' somewhat. What pro would give a damn if it becomes 10 inches in diameter instead of of 6 inches and/or 15 inches high instead of 10 inches?