When desktop usage is the scenario (AC power is available), the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock solves most of the compatibility headaches: see 2016 MacBook Pro: Compatibility Hardware (USB, Thunderbolt, Camera Card Readers, etc).
- Dual Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Five (5) USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, including one high-power port
- Gigabit ethernet
- SD card reader
- Audio in/out
- S/PDIF pro-grade digital audio for lossless signal transfer
- Mini DisplayPort for attaching a display.
- Firewire 800
- Should be possible to plug in 5K display to one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports.
There are a few limitations.
- This is a desktop device that requires AC power.
- To use a Thunderbolt 2 device, the Apple Thunderbolt 3 Male to Thunderbolt 2 Female Adapter will need to be plugged into the Thunderbolt 3 port on the Dock. But since Thunderbolt 2 can be daisy chained, a number of devices can hang off that one port, leaving the other port free.
- The USB ports are Gen 1 (5 Gb/sec just like on all current Macs), not Gen 2 (10 Gb/sec). According to OWC, Gen 2 ports would have raised the cost substantially. However, it should be possible to plug in a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Hub (when available) off one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports (see for example Expanding USB3 Ports: TRIPP LITE 7+1 USB3 with iPad Charging).
With the 13 ports you need, OWC’s new Thunderbolt 3 Dock brings unbelievable connectivity to your laptop through an included Thunderbolt 3 cable, and, delivers charging power to your laptop and other devices, all at the fastest speeds possible.
Thunderbolt 3 Dock delivers more connectivity, more power, and charging capability than ever before all at the fastest speed available today so all your connected devices perform at their maximum. Drive two 4K displays, connect and charge up to six USB devices, work with legacy FireWire storage, enjoy pristine audio, wired networks, and read SD cards, all at twice the speed of Thunderbolt 2 and all through a single cable. The possibilities are endless.
Because Thunderbolt 3 delivers phenomenal bandwidth up to 40Gb/s, Thunderbolt 3 Dock can be the foundation of your perfect custom display setup. Add two ultra HD 4K displays, or a combination of 4K, HD and other displays with the mini DisplayPort port and additional Thunderbolt 3 port.
If you’re a pro working in the creative industries, you probably have a highly specialized workflow complete with specialized and legacy ports like FireWire and optical audio. The OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock supports FW800 and S/PDIF optical audio, as well as an SD card reader and analog stereo audio.
2 Year OWC Limited Warranty
The best warranty is one you never have to use, but should the need occur — OWC is proud to provide a superior level of support and warranty coverage to our customers. Even when not used, we understand the peace of mind afforded by a longer warranty period. OWC's industry leading coverage is a testament to our confidence in the reliability of the solutions that we offer. OWC connectivity solutions are engineered to demanding quality standards in order to deliver the most reliable, highest performance available on the market.