↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
Risks To Data Go Far Beyond Drive Failure
It is a serious error to think that drive failure is your only risk. Other risks might be less common, but more severe.
At the home or office
Every one of these risks can be mitigated, but the vast majority of users address only the first one— drive failure.
- Drive failure; the drive disappears along with all your data;
- Power supply or fan failure (external drive); inoperable. Drive might or might not be OK.
- Theft — your computer disappears, along with everything attached to it, like your one backup drive and that folder full of DVD backups.
- Natural or unnatural disaster: a fire or wildfire or flood or tornado or hurricane or lightning strike or electromagnetic pulse vaporizes your computer and everything near it or in the same building or neighborhood; it’s all gone.
- User errors (e.g., delete a file, save over it, etc);
- Software bugs; the file is corrupted by the program (Microsoft Excel has destroyed many spreadsheets of mine);
- File system — the file system (catalog) for the drive goes bonkers. File are corrupted or lost.
- Confiscation — your teenager didn’t know the police would confiscate every computer in the house because he was running a “free” sharing service.
$2399 SAVE $300 = 11.0% Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Late 2016, Silver) in Computers: Apple Macs
$1199 SAVE $200 = 14.0% Apple 21.5" iMac with Retina 4K Display (Late 2015) in Computers: Apple Macs
$1999 SAVE $1000 = 33.0% Apple Mac Pro Desktop Computer (Quad-Core, Late 2013) in Computers: Apple Macs
$99 SAVE $40 = 28.0% Fujifilm instax mini 70 Instant Film Camera (Canary Yellow) in Cameras: Film Cameras
$600 SAVE $200 = 25.0% Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Mirrorless with 14-42mm and 40-150mm… in Cameras: Mirrorless
$900 SAVE $200 = 18.0% Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Mirrorless (Body, Silver) in Cameras: Mirrorless
Special risks when traveling
When traveling, all of the risks above apply plus some special considerations—
- Heightened risk of theft — the bag, laptop, the backup drive inside the bag.
- Loss — storing your laptop or only backup in your luggage.
- Damage — dropping the laptop, your backup drive, etc.
- Backups — risks to backups you carry with you are high, because the backups are often right with the computer.
- Downtime — your drive or backup drive fails while on the road. If you’re in a remote area, you’re stuck.