which earn me advertising fees or commissions.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
2020 iMac 5K: Overview
Related: 2019 iMac 5K, 2020 iMac 5K, 4K and 5K display, computer display, iMac, iMac 5K, Macs, memory, video
MPG tested the 2020 iMac 5K 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 10-core / 128GB / 2TB / Radeon 5700. Smart move: buy with 8GB memory, then add 64GB or 128GB OWC memory to save a ton on memory cost (same memory as 2019 iMac 5K).
Last good Intel-based Mac
The 2020 iMac 5K is the end of the Intel-based lineup. A disappointment is the lack of a redesign to include 4 Thunderbolt/USB-C ports (still 2 ports on one Thunderbolt bus), but for most users that will not be a real concern.
An Apple Silicon iMac 5K presumably will offer more ports, in 2022.
If you are in the market for an Intel-based Mac before they all disappear, either the 2020 iMac 5K or the 2019 Mac Pro are your very best choices, with my preference the iMac 5K for most purposes. There are sporadic reasons to prefer an Intel-based Mac for a few, such as needing to run Windows, either via BootCamp or emulation. And the 10-core CPU on the 2020 iMac 5K is a strong performer.
2020 iMac 5K updates
- A 10-core CPU option
- New options for 4TB and 8TB SSD.
- Up to 128GB memory direct from Apple (up from 64GB), but the 2019 iMac 5K with memory from OWC already did that. Buy your memory from OWC to save 50% or more.
- Optional nano-texture glass
- Optional 10Gbps ethernet.
- Display might be slightly better in color as well.
- Video card... unclear if meaningfully faster.
- REMOVES: ability to run macOS Mojave (macOS Monterey is OK though).