See also OWC Thunderbay 8.
OWC UNVEILS NEW ADDITIONS TO THUNDERBAY PRO-GRADE STORAGE LINEUP AT CES 2020: THUNDERBAY 8 AND FIRST-OF-ITS-KIND THUNDERBAY FLEX 8
CES 2020, LAS VEGAS — January 5, 2020 — OWC®; a leading zero emissions Mac and PC technology company and one of the world’s most respected manufacturers of hard drives, SSDs, Mac & PC docking solutions and performance upgrade kits, today announced two new massively powerful additions to its industry-leading ThunderBay product family – the ThunderBay 8 and the all-new ThunderBay FLEX 8.
ThunderBay FLEX 8 – The Future Standard of Storage – Available Soon
Whether you call it a workflow workhorse, a productivity platform, or a configurable command center, one description of the ThunderBay FLEX 8 says it best. The ThunderBay Flex 8 was designed as the solution for the most advanced, demanding workflow needs. It’s a groundbreaking, industry-first 3-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 storage, docking, and PCIe expansion solution from the world’s leading Thunderbolt accessory manufacturer.
The ThunderBay FLEX 8 offers 8 drive bays that support a mix of SATA/SAS/U.2 NVMe drives for up to 128TB of storage capacity.
Next, there are a plethora of ports including (2) Thunderbolt 3, (1) USB-C and (2) USB-A ports for device docking and charging. See your work with greater clarity by adding an up to 8K display via the built-in DisplayPort 1.4 connection.
Ingest hi-res images and video via front-side SD 4.0 and CF-Express card readers. When you want to expand your desktop capabilities, there’s a PCIe x16 slot waiting for your specific project needs.
ThunderBay FLEX 8 was built from the ground up to address the storage standards of today and tomorrow. All 8 bays can utilize legacy SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-inch SSDs or 3.5-inch HDDs. To take advantage of the direct connection PCIe technology offers to achieve transfer rates up to 40Gb/s, the top four bays are NVMe U.2 SSD ready. With these super-fast SSDs emerging as the preferred drive form factor of media and entertainment industry professionals, ThunderBay FLEX 8 is ready to meet the future storage needs of content creators and video production pros.
- Eight FLEXible drive bays with up to 2750MB/s real-world tested speed:
— Four top bays: install your choice of U.2 NVMe SSDs (one bay PCIe 3.0 x4, three bays PCIe 3.0 x1), 2.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s SSDs, or 3.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s HDDs.
— Four bottom bays: install your choice of 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s drives.
- Massive capacity: store up to 128TB of critical footage, images, and files.
- Connect up to five additional Thunderbolt devices in a daisy-chain.
- Includes SoftRAID: robust software for creating, monitoring, and managing advanced RAID sets.
- Deployment ready: pre-configured solutions undergo rigorous multi-hour drive burn-in
- Connect and charge your devices: (1) USB-C and (2) USB-A ports for audio or video mixers, digital cameras, peripherals, and mobile devices
- See your work: DisplayPort 1.4 for connecting up to two 4K displays or one 8K display
- Fast and easy camera uploads: up to 985MB/s with frontside SD 4.0 and CFexpress card readers
- Play your card: (1) PCIe (x16) slot for half-length, full-height, single-width audio and video capture cards, high-speed networking card, SSD storage card, hardware RAID card, and even I/O cards like FireWire, Fiber Channel, or USB 3.2.
- Power to spare: 500W handles drives, expansion cards, and charging up accessories
Pricing & Availability
The ThunderBay FLEX 8 integrated storage, docking and PCIe expansion solution will be available in Q1 as a 0GB enclosure (add your own drives) or from 16TB to 128TB solutions.
About OWC Other World Computing (OWC), founded in 1988, is dedicated to helping Mac and PC enthusiasts do more and reach higher. OWC creates and delivers the best storage, connectivity, software and expansion solutions for performance, reliability and longevity to enhance, accelerate and extend the capabilities of technology. We believe in sustainability and OWC solutions are truly built to last, go the distance, and enable users to maximize the technology investment they have already made. True sustainability is good business – maximizing existing hardware vs. starting over or needing to replace saves time, money and benefits the environment and resources we all share. OWC’s operation provides leadership in business sustainability, with our headquarters among the first in the world awarded LEED Platinum Certification and running as a net provider of renewable wind and solar energy to the local power grid. OWC features an award-winning technical support team as well as an unparalleled library of step-by-step DIY and informational videos. From the home desktop to the enterprise rack, to the audio recording studio to the motion picture set and beyond, there should be no compromise, and that is why OWC is here.