See my in-depth review of the Apple 2018 MacBook Pro, the model discussed here and see also:
- Articles about MacBook Pro
- B&H Photo Has the Top-End 16-inch 2019 MacBook Pro in Stock — this is the one you want as the single travel/desktop machine
- 2019 Apple MacBook Pro with 16" Display: the Single Computer Solution At Last
- Thoughts on Choosing Between the Apple 2019 Mac Pro vs 2019 MacBook Pro 16-Inch and Expected 2020 iMac Pro
Joe J writes:
Upgrading my 2012 MacBook Pro. Checking out a 2018 model
Do you recommend anything else? Will use your link for purchase.
DIGLLOYD: the $1699 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz / 32GB / 2TB Radeon Pro 560X is a screaming deal at $1800 off and only $2699 (down from $4499, a huge value for the money. The value for the price relative to new models is outstanding.
- Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Mid 2018, Space Gray), MFR#Z0V11LL/
- 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9 Six-Core
- 32GB of 2400 MHz RAM
- 2TB SSD
- AMD Radeon Pro 560X GPU (4GB GDDR5)
The 2019 MacBook Pro
Ignoring the cost for those who need every last bit of performance, the better choice is the 2019 Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, which in summary:
- 2019 16-inch model is better cooled (fans, airflow) so it can sustain a higher performance level for longer (because of better cooling, thermal throttling is much less of an issue). Performance is overall going to be up to 25% faster (more cores, less thermal throttling), but typically more like 10%, hardly noticeable. Thermal throttling (reduction of performance as clock speed is reduced) generally occurs after 30+ seconds of high CPU usage as on the graph.
- 2019 16-inch model can be purchased with 64GB memory which may matter for some uses (really big files focus stacking, etc.
- 2019 16-inch model has an improved keyboard (of no importance when used as desktop replacmennt).
- 2019 16-inch model can be ordered with 8TB SSD
- 2019 16-inch model with 8 core CPU is faster than 2018 model with 6-core CPU, but the difference is smaller than it seems due to clock speed.
In short, that 2019 MBP is a screaming deal so long as you don't need 10-15% better performance for sustained computation or 64GB memory or 8TB SSD.
Additions for all Thunderbolt 3 Macs
$2099 SAVE $1301 = 38.0% OWC 8.0TB OWC ThunderBlade Ultra High-Performance Gen 2 Thunderb… in Storage: SSD
$2029 SAVE $101 = 4.0% OWC 56TB OWC ThunderBay 4 RAID Ready Four-Drive HDD External Sto… in Storage: ThunderBay
$249 SAVE $31 = 11.0% OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock with Cable - Space Gray in All Other Categories
$50 SAVE $129 = 72.0% Tripp Lite USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 7 Port Hub with BC 1.2 Charging in All Other Categories