Want a notebook for travel, but looking for more power when docked at home/work? Add a PCIe graphics card in an external Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. This might appeal to video producers in particular. And as I understand it, more than one external unit can be attached simultaneously.
OWC / MacSales.com (highly recommended) has introduced the about $300 OWC Mercury Helios FX Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis for PCIe Graphics Cards.
- Software Requirements: macOS 10.13.4 or later1 Windows 10 (64-bit, version 1709) or later. (For non-GPU PCIe cards, 10.12.6 or later is required).
- Hardware Requirements: Any eGPU-compatible Thunderbolt 3 Mac or PC (Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 Macs do not support external graphics).
- PCIe Card Support: Any driverless PCIe card or PCIe card with a Thunderbolt-aware driver. (All cards which require a driver must have a Thunderbolt-aware driver (Mac and Windows))
- Transfer Rate (Max): Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps)
- Expansion Slots: (1) PCIe 3.0 (x4)
- Power: Internal UL-listed universal auto-switching, Supplies 550 W.
- Environmental: Ambient Temperature Operating: 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
- Dimensions: Height: 20.0 cm (7.9 in) Length: 34.0 cm (13.4 in) Width: 18.5 cm (7.3 in).
- Weight: 3.22 kg (7.10 lbs)
The eGPU chassis built to empower
Add the power of a high-performance GPU to your Mac and PC via Thunderbolt 3. Whether you're bringing a creative vision to life, crunching research data, playing the latest hardware-punishing game, or connecting additional displays — the OWC Mercury Helios FX is built to empower everything you do.
The Power to Do More
Achieve smoother frame rates, encode faster, edit in greater resolutions, add displays, utilize VR and AR, elevate gaming performance, or take advantage of the complex data crunching GPUs excel at. You'll have plenty of options with support for most Thunderbolt-compatible AMD Radeon™ and NVIDIA® GeForce®, TITAN, and Quadro® GPUs.
- Connect a GPU via Thunderbolt 3
- Mac and Windows PC compatible
- Elevate gaming performance
- Utilize multiple displays
- GPU power + notebook charging
- Thunderbolt cable included
- 3 Year OWC Limited Warranty
Transformative Notebook Performance
Change the way you think of notebooks. Utilize the greater portability and flexibility of lighter laptops while taking advantage of easy-to-upgrade desktop-class GPUs. With an OWC Mercury Helios FX in your arsenal, performance is plug-and-play, and upgrades are easy.
The OWC Mercury Helios FX provides an exhilarating performance boost to both Macs and Windows PCs featuring a Thunderbolt 3 interface. Whether in a single-platform environment or a mixed-platform environment, the OWC Mercury Helios FX can easily be moved between computers to enhance workflows wherever it is needed most.
Powerful, Cool, and Quiet
The OWC Mercury Helios FX is built to handle the most power-hungry GPUs and simultaneously charge your notebook. It stays cool with a whisper-quiet, temperature-controlled fan, making it perfect for noise-sensitive environments.
It's easy to quickly swap out cards as needed with the OWC Mercury Helios FX. In addition to GPUs, it has the cooling, room, and power to support virtually any Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe card — including popular RED ROCKET and AVID Pro Tools | HDX PCIe cards.
World-Class OWC Support
Should the need ever arise, our award-winning support team is ready to patiently answer any questions you may have about your OWC Mercury Helios FX.