Apple claimed the 2016 MacBook Pro sold like gangbusters. I believe it. But for pro users, it left a bitter taste. For those considering the huge savings now in play for the 2016 MacBook Pro, I did extensive commentary and testing about a year ago:
- All articles on 2016 MacBook Pro
- Full review of Apple 2016 MacBook Pro and review of 2017 Apple MacBook Pro
- 2016 MacBook Pro: Design by Dilettantes?
- Which 13-inch 2016 MacBook Pro? (or MacBook)
- 2016 MacBook Pro: Returning it
- Bought the 2015 MacBook Pro: Best Model for My Usage at a Big Savings
- Another “Going Back” Review of the 2016 MacBook Pro
I am still using the 2015 Mac Book Pro and it’s perfect—built-in USB ports and SD card slot along with uilt-in Mini Display Port for connecting an external display are a big deal versus having to use adapters at extra cost and hassle.
The top-end 2015 MacBook Pro is the same speed as the 2017 MacBook Pro for all my work and the top-end 2015 MacBook Pro can still be purchased brand-new for $2649 at B&H Photo . Interesting that it is discounted only $250 while its 2016 successors get up to $1000 off.
Still: for web/email and light duty work, saving $500 to $1000 on the 2016 MacBook Pro has a lot of appeal over the 2017 model, which has all the same annoyances as the 2016 model. The 2017 model is faster and with a smidgen better battery life. Both have the same useless touchbar; the only 2016/2017 model I’d consider would be the 13" non-touchbar model, which actually has the best battery life.
$1705 SAVE $794 = 31.0% Apple 15" MacBook Pro Retina (2015) 2.5GHz Quad Core i7 - Used,… in New and used Macs: MacBook Pro