I’m considering taking the iMac 5K as the computer for my Mercedes Sprinter Photography Adventure Van, but that requires a padded case to protect it while driving; it cannot stay in place on a table on bumpy roads or even paved roads with curves.
I’ve looked around for a case for iMac 5K, and there is quite a variety offering varying levels of protection:
- iLugger 24/27 inch Carrying case
- Gator Cases Creative Pro Series Nylon Carry Tote Bag for Apple 27" iMac Desktop Computer (G-CPR-IM27)
- NSP iMac 27" Carry Bag - Shoulder Bag
- Lavolta Carrying Case Bag for Apple iMac 27-inch
- iMac Dust Cover 27 SLIM Foamy Lizard
- Pawtec 27-inch iMac Neoprene Full Body Sleeve Bundle for Dust Protection, Storage, or Transport Cover Case
I specifically do not want wheels; these can roll around in a van, an anti-feature for that use.
The case that most appeals to me is the Gator Cases Creative Pro Series Nylon Carry Tote Bag for Apple 27" iMac Desktop Computer (G-CPR-IM27), because the iMac 5K can be used without having to remove it from the case. This is a big deal in terms for stow/unstow for vehicle use.
- Padded nylon creative professional Tote Bag designed to fit the 27” iMac
- Adjustable interior padding and foam block cradle for perfect, secure fit
- Hard panel reinforcement in front flap for extra screen protection
- iMac can be used in the case with two side ports along with a Folding sun and dust Shield Built-in Rain cover with strap and handle cutouts.
The Gator case is not inexpensive, but the ability to use it without unpacking it from the case is a big plus for travel in a van. That’s assuming that heat buildup is not an issue, and perhaps it could be on hot days.