Coming soon for review courtesy of B&H Photo is the 2017 Apple iMac 5K 4.2 GHz / 8GB / 1TB / Radeon Pro 580. Ordered with 8GB memory to save about $820; to be tested with 64GB.
I'd prefer the 2TB SSD but it gets pricey and 1TB is good for most users. Videographers and Adobe Lightroom users with very large catalogs should opt for the 2TB SSD model.
Since I own the late 2015 iMac 5K, I can do a head-to-head to see how much better the 2017 model is. Aside from Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 gen 2, I don’t expect much difference, but I hope to be surprised in some unexpected way.
In general the things I strongly recommend are the fastest CPU long with ample memory, adding the OWC Thunderbay 4 for external storage of big files and the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock for extra USB3 ports.
- Can a 2016 MacBook Pro support an 8K display?.
- Too-High Pixel Density on 5K and 8K Displays Impedes Image Assessment.
- 2.5K or 4K or 5K Display for Image Editing and Viewing?
- iMac 5K (Late 2015): Sheer Viewing Pleasure in the Fastest Mac Available
- iMac 5K for Stunning Black and White Images
- What’s the Best Way to Enjoy Images at their Finest?
$1280 SAVE $90 = 6.0% OWC 24TB OWC ThunderBay 4, four-drive HDD with dual Thunderbolt… in Storage: ThunderBay
$830 SAVE $50 = 5.0% OWC 16.0TB Mercury Elite Pro Dual USB 3.1 Gen 1 & Thunderbolt 2… in Storage: Mercury Elite Pro Dual
$450 SAVE $30 = 6.0% OWC 64.0GB (4x 16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200 260 Pin CL17… in All Other Categories