8K Video Card Support Now Available, though NOT for Apple
Another casualty of the decision to eliminate PCI slots from the Mac Pro in favor of beauty* over brawn: the latest and best video cards cannot be used in a Mac, at least not without special external hardware, and even then Thunderbolt 3 speed is only a fraction of what a PCIe 3.0 16X slot offers.
The MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OC Graphics Card and MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G Graphics Card support 8K video at 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz. And the price is very modest also.
- PCI Express 3.0 x16
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060: CUDA Cores: 1280, Base Clock: 1544 MHz, Boost Clock: 1759 MHz
- Speed: 8 Gbps, Configuration: 8 GB, Interface: GDDR5, Interface Width: 192-bit, Bandwidth: 192 GB/s
- DisplayPort 1.4 + HDMI 2.0b + DVI-D DL
- Display Support Display Connectors: 1 x DVI-D DL, 3 x DisplayPort 1.4, 1 x HDMI 2.0b. Maximum Digital Resolution: 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz, Multi Monitor Support
Apple is way behind the curve: no Thunderbolt 3, no machines with DisplayPort 1.4, no support for external resolution beyond 4K.
* In the eyes of the beholder: a glitzy black trash can vs the elegant robust aluminum of the 2009 / 2010 Mac Pro.