2013 Mac Pro: Upgraded to 3.3 GHz 8-Core
See the MPG buying links to B&H photo for the 2013 Mac Pro. Thanks for using!
MPG has the privilege of being the first advance customer of the new OWC CPU upgrade program* - which OWC will soon be opening up for all.
Now upgraded, it’s on its way back to me, where it will have 64GB memory installed to yield the fastest 2013 Mac Pro possible (as per the tests). Still, it’s only a little faster than the stock 6-core CPU, which is the MPG recommendation for the vast majority of users.
MPG uses the Mac Pro mainly for intensive photography, every day. Few users need this much gear, but some do, and most users will need some of it.
The key things are optimizing workflow, a well-conceived strategy for storage, and a robust backup approach. Expert advice can be helpful in all those areas, but also for saving money by not over-configuring for little or negative benefit and/or tips on how and where to buy stuff.
- 3.3 GHz 8-core CPU.
- 1TB flash storage (SSD).
- D700 GPUs.
- 64GB memory.
- Dual OWC Thunderbay external 4-drive enclosures.
- CalDigit T3 Thunderbolt enclosure.
- OWC Helios 2 with dual 960GB OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD (as soon as the Helios 2 is released).
- CalDigit Thunderbolt Station.
- TRIPP LITE USB3 expansion hub.
- FirmTek Q6G Thunderbolt to eSATA (for backward compatibility with existing eSATA enclosures).