My inital multi-page review of the OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD is now published.
Looking for the blazingly-fast plug and play storage?
The OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD provides performance in excess of what most any program can utilize. Even Photoshop has enough of its own bottlenecks that the speed of opening and saving huge files is limited by Photoshop internals, not the speed of the OWC Mercury Accelsior. In short, the Accelsior eliminates disk I/O as a consideration. Except perhaps in extreme circumstances, but for that, one could stripe two of them for over 1000MB/sec.
The Accelsior opens up some very robust and capacious options, and can be configured into the ultimate Mac Pro for photographers, the MPG Pro Workstation.
- Bootable, no driver needed! You can start up your Mac from the Accelsior.
- Optimize daily workflow — makes a superb drive for an Adobe Lightroom catalog, large Photoshop files, scratch disk, etc.
- By utilizing the Accelsior to optimize daily workflow, all 4 of the Mac Pro drive bays remain available for high capacity hard drives (e.g., the 4TB Hitachi Deskstar) for up to 16TB of internal storage for images, video, etc.
- System can have ample storage with no hard drives at all! Many users might find a single 960GB Accelsior enough storage for a long time.
- Watch disk I/O speed issue all but disappear with everything you do; the computer can ran at full speed, all the time, because it doesn’t have to wait for a slow hard drive.
- Install up to three Accelsior SSDS with up to 960GB each (~ 3TB of SSD!)
- Accelsior cards can be striped for performance in excess of what any program can use.
- Accelsior cards be be mirrored for fault tolerance.
My revised system
The advantages of the OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD are so compelling for my own photography work that I am in the process of migrating my own MPG Pro Workstation system to a new configuration using it, plunking down my own cash to do so.
My targeted configuration is one 960GB Accelsior for my Master working volume, and one 480GB Accelsior for my Scratch working space (huge PSD/PSB/TIF files for my photography). This will free up four (4) drive bays currently occupied by OWC Mercury Extreme SATA 6G SSDs for free use for other things, such as high capacity hard drives.