As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases @AMAZON
OWC Thunderbolt Go Dock for Port Expansion
Related: accessories, computer display, display connectivity, DisplayPort, ethernet, laptop, MacBook, Other World Computing, OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock, OWC Thunderbolt Go Dock, SSD, storage, Thunderbolt, USB, USB-C
See also Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Infographic and OWC Now Has Thunderbolt 3 Cables.
The about $350 OWC Thunderbolt Go Dock is one in a series of Thunderbolt docks that brings a new level of convenience with its built-in power supply.
Turn any laptop into a full workstation setup by adding the about $350 OWC Thunderbolt Go Dock. Or add it to any desktop computer that is short on ports.
Available February 2023, the OWC Thunderbolt Go Dock connects up everything you need.
- Built-in power supply eliminates heavy power brick hassle while enabling more workflows vs bus-powered docks.
- Works with all your Thunderbolt and USB-C devices
- 2.5 Gbps ethernet = 2.5X faster than standard 1GbE
- Rugged, solid aluminum heat dissipating fanless design.
- Displays: Up to one 8K display @ 60Hz, or one 5K display @ 60Hz, or one 4K display @ 120Hz, or two 4K displays @ 60Hz.
- 2 Year OWC Limited Warranty
- 90W charging power for other devices
$10 SAVE $5 = 33.0% NewerTech USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter for up to 8K Displays in All Other Categories
$79 SAVE $16 = 16.0% OWC Thunderbolt Dual DisplayPort Adapter in All Other Categories
$8 SAVE $7 = 46.0% OWC USB-A to USB-C (USB 3) Adapter Cable in All Other Categories
$250 SAVE $30 = 10.0% OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock with Cable - Space Gray in All Other Categories
Terrific connectivity. The only thing lacking is direct DisplayPort of Mini DisplayPort port for an older-style external display. Use the Newer Technology USB-C to DisplayPort 8K Display Adapter for this purpose either on the computer itself, or on one of the USB-C ports.
- (1) Host Port - Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) up to 40 Gb/s (5000 MB/s)
- (2) Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) Ports
- (1) USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C Port up to 10Gb/s (1250MB/s)
- (2) USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A Ports up to 10Gb/s (1250MB/s)
- (1) USB 2.0 Port
- HDMI Port
- (1) 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet (2.5GbE) RJ-45 Port
- (1) 3.5mm Stereo Audio Output Port
- SD card reader UHS-II
The OWC Thunderbolt Go Dock is a handsome unit with heat fins for heat dissipation—fanless design won’t disturb your work. Plug it in via the port on the side, at right.
The power supply is built-in, yet it weighs in with power cord at around 2.2 pounds = 1kg. Not great for travel, but a heck of a lot better than having a large and heavy power brick in addition to the dock itself.
TESTING: general summary
MPG tested the OWC Thunderbolt Go Dock on the 2022 MacBook Pro M2 Max.
- Requires AC power, as do all such docks as required by the Thunderbolt specification.
- A gigabit ethernet cable was plugged into the dock. Worked great for internet, but MPG had no 2.5 Gbps network available for verifying the increased bandwidth that the Dock’s port offers.
- The NEC PA271Q 2560 X 1440 display was plugged in via the Newer Technology USB-C to DisplayPort 8K Display Adapter. Operation was solid while working and behaved the same as when plugging into the computer itself.
TESTED: SD Card Reader speed
Tested using the run-sequential command of diglloydTools DiskTester. The 256GB OWC Atlas S Pro SD card used.
The SD slot in the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock outperforms the built-in SD slot on the 2022 MacBook Pro M2 Max.
TESTED: SSD speed
Tested using the run-sequential command of diglloydTools DiskTester.
The OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock has the same issue that Thunderbolt hubs can have: write speeds can be impaired, and this is plain to see using the very fast OWC Envoy Pro FX SSD. Results the same whether or not a display or ethernet cable were plugged.
If you have a high-performance SSD, it is better to plug it directly into the computer.
The main attraction for me with the OWC Thunderbolt Go Dock is the elimination of the bulky external power brick, particularly using it in my Sprinter van when traveling. But even at home or on a desk, keeping the mess down is a big plus.
I personally own 3 or 4 prior OWC Thunderbolt 3 Docks. All have been outstanding. The Go Dock lives up to those expectations, SSD write speeds being one point of concern—best to plug those into the computer directly.
TASCAM TM-280 Studio Microphone with Flight Case, Shockmount, and Pop Filter