As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases @AMAZON
OWC 4TB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD
Get OWC 4TB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD at MacSales.com.
Looking to upgrade an older Mac or PC with far higher performance than any hard drive? Look no further than the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD lineup.
Newer Macs and PCs are best used with PCIe SSDs such as the OWC Mercury Accelsior 4M2 along with Thunderbolt 3 SSDs. These are far faster than SATA drives. However, older Macs and PCs still use SATA and these machines only need a fast SSD to be viable for many uses for a long time to come.
As of mid 2020, OWC offers two lines of 2.5" form-factor SSDs*: OWC Mercury Electra 6G and OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G. The Electra line is a very fine choice for most uses and users, but for maximum performance even with heavy-duty use, go with the Extreme Pro 6G lineup.
- About $899 for 4TB (as this was written) with No Risk, No Hassle 30-Day Money Back Guarantee
- 5 Year OWC SSD Limited Warranty
- Game Changer: the best performance upgrade for Macs and PCs with SATA drive bay
- No Slow Downs: maintains read/write speeds exceeding 500MB/s over entire drive capacity
- Saves money: use drive until full versus replacing slowed down drive
- A/V Ready: use with Blackmagic, Sound Devices, Atomos devices
- Universal Fit: includes full-sized 7mm-9.5mm profile spacer for 100% secure and compatible use
- Peace of Mind Ownership: Award-winning U.S. based Technical Support
- Supercharges Macs and PCs - ideal for notebooks and desktops
Suitable for use in a MacBook Pro models that support 2.5" SATA drives, 2009-2012 Mac Pro, PCs, or other internal configurations.
Tested: Sustained transfer speed
This is a superb performance for a SATA SSD meaning as good as it gets for SATA 6G.
Across the entire 4TB capacity a tight performance level is maintained without deviation, and this is under this sustained maximal I/O load far exceeding anything resembling normal usage.
Tested: Transfer speed vs transfer size
Een 32K I/O sizes hit speeds well over 200MB/sec and this rapidly increases at 64K and 128K. As often seen, there is a dip at one transfer size, typical of all SSDs. This is a very strong performance on par with the very best SATA SSDs.
Typical of all SSDs, transfer size needs to hit 1MiB to 2MiB in order to reach 95% of peak speed.
The 4TB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is a class-leading performer at an attractive price for its capacity. With a 5-year warranty, OWC stands behind their products in a big way far exceeding most others. It’s a great way to make an old dog of a laptop run like a new puppy, to upgrade a 2009-2012 Mac Pro or Windows PC, etc.