↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
For iMac 5K or For 2013 Mac Pro
Recommended by diglloyd as ideal for photographers and videographers
Mac Pro Westmere Test Machine Configuration
Unless otherwise noted, the test configurations were as follows:
- 2010 Mac Pro Westmere 12-core @ 3.33GHz (!). This is an upgraded system from 2.4GHz 8-core.
- 2010 Mac Pro Westmere 6-core @ 3.33GHz.
- 2010 Mac Pro Nehalem 4-core @ 3.2GHz (W3565). This chip runs its bus at 4.8GT/s vs 6.4GT/s for the 3.33Ghz 6-core chip (25% slower).
- 2009 Mac Pro Nehalem 4-core @ 3.33GHz.
- 2010 Mac Pro Westmere 8-core @ 2.4GHz.
- 2009 Mac Pro Nehalem 8-core @ 2.93Ghz.
- 2010 MPG Pro One (iMac) 4-core @ 2.93GHz.
All machines were booted with the 64-bit Snow Leopard kernel.
Dual 200GB solid states drives were used for a RAID-0 stripe boot drive in all machines. The Mac Pros used 24GB memory for most tests (32GB as noted). The iMac was maxed-out at 16GB. In other words, the core of an MPG Pro Workstation and the MPG Pro One iMac.
The 2010 Mac Pro has a much more powerful video card, the ATI Radeon 5870 with 1GB of memory. For most uses, it offers exactly zero advantage over the stock 5770 card. Save the $200 and put it towards an MPG Pro Workstation, or a quality solid state drive.
$43 SAVE $27 = 38.0% APC BE550G Back-UPS 550 8 Outlet Surge Protector and Battery Bac… in Accessories: Batteries and Power
$1849 SAVE $150 = 7.0% Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro Laptop Computer with Retina Display & Fo… in Computers: Apple Macs
$400 SAVE $675 = 62.0% Dracast LED1000 Silver Series Bi-Color LED Light with V-Mount Ba… in Lighting: LED