November 25, 2012
For your convenience, links to our current recommended equipment.
Where to buy a Mac
New or refurbished, there are options that can be faster or cheaper.
Please see the recommended Macs new or Apple certified pre-owned.
External drive enclosures (for backup, etc)
Compact and portable, terrific for any Mac:
- OWC Mercury Elite AL-Pro Mini quad-interface
- NewerTech Guardian MAXimus Mini (RAID 0/1)
- OWC Mercury Elite AL-Pro Dual Mini (RAID 0/1)
- OWC Mercury Elite AL-Pro (great choice!)
- OWC Mercury Elite-Al Pro Qx2 quad-interface
- FirmTek SeriTek 2EN2 and 2E-EN4 2-bay eSATA only
Desktop hard drives
Don’t miss reading Why Larger Hard Drives are Faster.
We always recommend OWC memory to our readers. Please take care to select the RAM for your specific model of Mac; if you have any doubts, don’t hesitate to call OWC directly and they can help you make sure you get the right parts.
Solid state drives (SSD)
There’s a lot to know about SSDs and you can read all about it here, but these products are your safest and best investments.
- Mercury Extreme Pro RE for RAID-0 striping
- Mercury Extreme Pro for regular use
Photographers, designers and anyone doing color-sensitive work should use a large-gamut display that can be calibrated and profiled.
- NEC 30" Spectraview II Display
- NEC 27" Spectraview II Display
- Mini-display port to Display port cable
If you’re just looking for a decent, inexpensive display for non-color-sensitive work, then we can recommend this model.
- Firmtek SeriTek 2ME4-E for Mac Pro
- NewerTech MAXPower 6G PCIe eSATA for Mac Pro
- OWC Slim ExpressCard to eSATA Adapter for MacBook Pro