diglloyd Mac Performance Guide

Get Up To 64GB of Memory!

SSDStorageMemory


100% Kona, 100% Family Owned

Buy Mac Pro Now, or Wait?

Mac Pro schematic  
What will it be?

Richard S writes:

In your opinion is it worth waiting for a Thunderbolt compatible MP or should I bite on an Apple 2010 refurb MacPro?

Worth waiting for whom and for what purposes?

I have written on this general question before in Mac Pro Now, or Wait?, No New Mac Pro Yet, Which Means What?. See also Where to Buy a Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac and ULTIMATE Mac Pro.

I don’t see Thunderbolt as the main issue, since at present there is precious little that it’s good for, and that is likely to remain the case for another 9 months or so. Internal 6G SATA ports and faster Intel CPU chips are much more important concerns for performance.

But here‘s the deal— the speed of my current Mac Pro causes little delay to my work, so while a new and faster one will help, no one should feel buyer’s remorse about the current well-proven and rock solid model, especially configured as an MPG Pro Workstation.

In fact, if I did not have the need to stay current (for this site), I would think it hard to justify a new and very expensive Mac Pro on the basis of work efficiency. Certainly the refurbished option is the way to go in any case, provided that you can find the desired CPU speed.

If you’re a professional for whom productivity matters each day, then move ahead and get your work done— get a Mac Pro now, because every day your work is impaired, you lose.

With no pressing need, I’d say wait until late March/ early April, which is the most likely time for a new Mac Pro to appear (once the new Intel chips are out). But there is no saying what Apple will do— in 2010 the April release was delayed until August.


Visit Thunderbolt Central

diglloyd.com | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY
Contact | About Lloyd Chambers | Consulting | Photo Tours
Mailing Lists | RSS Feeds | Twitter
Copyright © 2008-2014 diglloyd Inc, all rights reserved.